|Meatless Stuffed Peppers
w/ Roasted Red Potatoes
and Mushroom Gravy
The recipe for this gravy developed out of an excess of potatoes, but a lack of gravy or chicken/beef broth. We did have some vegetable broth on hand, and also a bunch of mushrooms, so I sauteed them and threw them in a blender to create an earthy, flavorful gravy.
Recipes for those Roasted Red Potatoes and Meatless Stuffed Peppers coming soon!!!
The example above is a vegetarian meal (can be vegan with a few modifications) but it really didn’t seem like it, even for a meat-lover like myself. The quinoa and veggie filling has the familiar texture of the more common ground meat filling in most stuffed peppers but with much fewer calories and the rich mushroom gravy from this recipe has all the savory or umami flavor that you might otherwise be missing. Feel free to smother your pepper in it, if you try it out, Heather and I both did!
8oz Mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp Butter or oil
1 tbsp Flour
2 cups Vegetable Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat butter over medium heat. Saute mushrooms until caramelized, approx. 5 – 10 minutes.
2. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
3. Gradually whisk in broth and add salt and pepper.
4. Cook until gravy starts to thicken.
5. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion or regular blender until smooth.
Serve over mashed potatoes, or meat, or whatever! Yum!