Hello everyone, today I am trying something new and writing a different kind of post. I haven’t done any product reviews or endorsements yet but I came across a product that has such incredible nutritional benefits that I felt I had to spread the word and write about it. This is not a paid endorsement. I really believe that Shakeology is a revolutionary product, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to improve their health or lose weight, and reading about its nutritional benefits should be very informative for anyone who takes the time.
Ever heard of Shakeology?
- Whey protein- This first ingredient is technically an isolated mix of proteins and would not qualify as a “whole food.” However, whey protein contains a great assortment of essential amino acids and is around 90% protein meaning it comes with very few extra calories. It is also one of the best sources of protein for encouraging muscle growth due to its high levels of leucine, an amino acid that stimulates muscle protein synthesis, and the increase anabolic hormones that stimulate muscle growth.
- Pea protein- This complements the whey as another great source of protein with the added benefit of being the most hypoallergenic of the common protein powders. Pea protein contains an almost complete set of amino acids and is probably the best plant-based protein source.
- Chia seeds- Chia seeds are a whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike other seeds that need to be ground). These seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber, omega-3 fats, protein, vitamins and minerals. In addition, chia seeds have the highest antioxidant activity of any whole food! Chia seeds are so packed with fiber that one serving can provide the recommended fiber intake for the day.
- Flax seeds- Flax seeds are highly nutritious seeds that have been a part of the human diet for thousands of years and may have been the world’s first cultivated superfood. They are the richest source of plant-based omega-3 fats in the world. They are also the highest source of lignans in human diets, containing about 7 times as many as the runner-up, sesame seeds. Lignans are a unique antioxidant that also support probiotic growth in the gut and have anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. This suggests that a diet rich in flax may reduce the number or severity of illnesses such as colds and flus. It is one of the most nutrient dense foods and is also high in fiber and protein.
- Quinoa- Quinoa is an ancient grain and is one of the few natural sources that contains all nine essential amino acids. Once again, it is also high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Specifically, it is a great source of magnesium, a mineral that most people are deficient in resulting in leg cramps, muscle pain, insomnia and anxiety.
- Sacha Inchi- This seed looks like a nut and is the best plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids and might even be a better source of these incredibly beneficial fats than salmon. These seeds are loaded with protein and fiber much like the others above and has significant anti-inflammatory properties.
- Chlorella- Chlorella is a blue-green algae and is one of the most nutrient dense foods with similar but higher nutritional content to leafy greens like kale and spinach. It is incredibly high in vitamin A, iron, and zinc and also contains a good amount of B vitamins and other minerals. One of its best qualities is its ability to detoxify the body from things like heavy metals and radiation. Regular consumption of chlorella can actually prevent heavy metals from accumulating in the bodies’ tissues and it has been shown to protect the body against radiation treatments while removing radioactive particles from the body.
- Chicory root- The root of this plant contains fiber as well as small amounts of nearly every vitamin making it a great addition to any diet but its real strength comes from its pre and probiotic properties. It contains a rare prebiotic vital to the immune system that stimulates the growth and activity of probiotics which improve digestive health by working to balance digestive flora. This in turn helps the body digest and absorb all other nutrients more efficiently.
- Rose hips- This is the fruit of the rose plant and is full of a variety of antioxidants providing numerous health benefits. Benefits such as preventing cancer and heart disease. They also contain high amounts of vitamin C which boosts the immune system. This gives rose hips the ability to help prevent a wide variety of diseases.
- Yacon root- This tuber is similar to potatoes but is mostly composed of an indigestible form of fructose and water resulting in very low caloric content. This unique property provides anti-hyperglycemic effects. Meaning instead of the body absorbing its simple sugars it actually lowers the level of glucose production in the liver and lowers fasting glucose rates. An important benefit for people with diabetes. It also contains prebiotic materials which help to regulate digestive health.
- Acerola cherry/camu camu- These are two different but similar Amazonian berries that are very low in calories and incredibly high in vitamin C. These berries possess the highest vitamin C content for any fruit/berry. They also contain a variety of other anti-oxidant compounds in significantly high levels.
- Astragalus root- This root has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for thousands of years and is a powerful immune system booster. It falls into the class of adaptogens which are compounds that are active in the brain to help reduce stress. This is accomplished by reducing inflammation, reducing blood pressure, and maintaining the cardiovascular system through specific antioxidant properties. It has also been shown to aid in repair of damaged tissues, reducing scarring and promoting healing in wounds.
- Bilberry/blueberries- These berries are related and widely known for their health benefits. These benefits stem from super-high antioxidant content that helps with the treatment of diabetes and preventing heart disease. Bilberries in particular are greatly beneficial to eye health and have been shown to improve night vision, help heal damage to the retina, and protect against macular degeneration, glaucoma and cataracts.
- Cordyceps- This is a type of mushroom that has long been known to have powerful health benefits. It increases immune function and can help fight cancer and immunological disorders. It also falls in the adaptogen category and helps fight fatigue, muscle aches and weakness by improving blood flow and reducing inflammation. This has been shown to improve physical and sexual endurance as well as helping to alleviate symptoms of respiratory illnesses such as asthma.
- Lycium/Goji berry- These berries are considered one of the most nutritional foods in existence and are also packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. These may also benefit eye health especially helping to prevent diabetic retinopathy. It also helps with weight management and energy regulation by increasing metabolic rates.
- Chaga- This fungus doesn’t look like other mushrooms but it packs a powerful beneficial punch. People who incorporate chaga into their diets have been shown to have significantly greater life spans and extremely low rates of cancer. This is due to its potent cocktail of antioxidants and other therapeutic compounds. It has the unique property of being able to stimulate immune response while simultaneously reducing inflammation unlike most medications. Chaga contains multiple anti-cancer compounds and has been proven to help prevent and treat a wide variety of cancers. It is also an adaptogen and helps with stress management.
- Ashwagandha root- This plant is another adaptogen that also helps regulate blood sugar levels in both healthy people and those with diabetes and has shown to be as effective in lowering fasting blood sugar levels as some oral diabetes medications. It may also have anti-cancer effects by promoting the death of tumor cells and preventing the spread of cancer to other organs.
- Maitake/reishi mushrooms- These mushrooms contain high amounts of vitamin D and have known cancer fighting properties. They may also help prevent neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s by stimulating cognitive activity and nerve growth as well as reducing inflammation and improving blood flow in the brain.
- Bacillus coagulans- This is a beneficial type of bacteria that acts as a probiotic. It helps with digestive issues such as IBS/IBD and other disorders by promoting the growth of healthy bacteria in the digestive system.
- Maca root- This is another adaptogen that helps the body maintain hormonal balance which improves mood and energy levels. It is also very high in calcium, even more than milk. Maca is especially beneficial for women as it helps regulate estrogen levels which improves the symptoms of PMS, menopause and polycystic ovary syndrome. It also has been shown to improve mood and increase sexual libido in women possibly through its effects on balancing adrenal and thyroid hormone production. For men, it may help to improve prostate health, sperm production, mobility and volume which can significantly improve fertility.
- Schisandra berry- Another superfood/adaptogen berry, schisandra has a high concentration of antioxidant compounds. It contains unique cancer preventing lignans and other compounds that reduce inflammation, balance hormones and encourage cardiovascular health. It has extensive benefits for liver health and can even help to reverse damage and disease by cleansing the liver and helps liver transplant patients’ bodies by helping them accept the new liver and decreasing side effects.
- Luo han guo- This is a fruit that has long been used as a natural sweetener and sugar substitute. It is similar to stevia extract in that it has virtually no calories, doesn’t affect blood sugar, and does not feed pathogens like candida.
- Moringa oleifera- The leaves of this tree are used which contain a variety of vitamins and minerals and minor amounts of protein. It is rich in a variety of antioxidants, helps lower blood sugar, reduces inflammation, lowers cholesterol and may protect against arsenic toxicity.
So, what is Shakeology?
|One of my smoothies. I like to
add peanut butter and banana to the chocolate flavor.